I had my 6 week postpartum appointment last Friday, which was technically 7 weeks, lol. The doctor asked me how my mood and emotions were doing. Are you kidding me?? This is the first postpartum visit that I could actually smile and talk about a living baby. I'm doing great. No postpartum blues...but I guess the losses can make you grateful for every little moment...even the late nights :)
I've had a few people critique me on how I put Elijah down to sleep. I still swaddle him and put him on his back. A few people have mentioned that he might sleep better on his stomach. Sorry...he's staying on his back. I've read too many stories of SIDS and positional asphyxia to take the chance. With that being said, the critiques have come from a few family members, which makes me not want to let anyone ever watch him for us, lol. That sounds horrible, but I'm just so paranoid. I can't help it, though.
Anyways, here's a picture of our little guy at a little over 7 weeks :)
He is so sweet! Also MAJOR props to you for keeping him on his back. Babies are supposed to sleep fitfully because the frequent waking is why the SIDS risk is low. Getting into some sort of really deep sleep is NOT good. I don't blame you for being scared about how potential babysitters may let him sleep. I'm already like giving my mom instructions to never let Avery sleep on her back etc and shes not even born yet LOL.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work mama!!
Way to go on no blues!!!! I was the same way at my first appointment! My son is 9 months old and still loves to be swaddled and sleeps on his back. He has never slept on his belly. He hates being on his belly!! Hopefully your family will get better. It is better for them to be on their backs. I have been following a very sweet lady for about 5 months about her sweet baby boy passed away because a sitter put him on his belly for nap. He would have been 9 months today.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing an awesome! Keep it up mama!!!
Part of me feels like I will be the same way when it comes to my 6 week follow up.
ReplyDeleteYes keep him on his back, and there is nothing wrong with swaddling him. Not that I have had a living baby at home before but everything I read says the same thing about SIDS if you put them on there stomach.
I am also already nervous about babysitters for this reason also.
Jenna is three and has never slept on her stomach! I wouldn't dream of putting a baby on his or her stomach, and as long as they like to be swaddled go for it! So happy for you, and your beautiful beautiful little boy!
ReplyDeleteYay for no baby blues! It definitely seems like every moment with our boys is a joyful one after what we've been through. :) And good for you for sticking to what you feel strongly about. Everyone has their opinion - whether or not we want to hear it. :) If Sam would still swaddle, he'd be doing it now! Ha.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the thumbs up! :)
Oh my gosh look at that sweet little thumbs up! Precious! He looks like he's growing fast!
ReplyDeleteBabies are supposed to be put on their backs. It's now common practice and hospitals have "BACK TO SLEEP" signs up all over to remind us. Politely ignore your family and keep doing what you know is right :)